The legal use of marijuana and cannabis products is growing at a steady rate. Many people are embracing curiosity regarding their options. These include THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol) – two natural chemical compounds found in the cannabis plant. The main difference between CBD and THC is that CBD is the non-psychoactive compound which enables marijuana to be used for medical purposes whereas THC is the psychoactive compound which causes euphoric sensations in a human being after consumption. Hence, it makes many people buy pot and use it as a recreational drug.
CBD, the non-psychoactive chemical compound is primarily extracted from the seeds, flowers, leaves, and stalks of the hemp plant. It is usually sold in gummies, supplements, gels, extracts, and oils among other types. It is used to make cannabis oils which are used to enhance the medical effectiveness of marijuana. THC, on the other hand, as aforementioned is the intoxicating chemical compound of the marijuana plant. When a person vapes or inhales marijuana, they tend to have a euphoric sensation which is caused by the THC chemical compound. The THC constituent of cannabis is also available in tinctures, oils, capsules, sprays, and edibles among other forms. Both CBD and THC interact with the endocannabinoid system – a fundamental signaling system constrained to regulate a wide range of functions such as mood, pain, sleep, life, and death cellular cycles, appetite, immune response, and memory. These two chemical compounds have different chemical structures which are similar to the body’s endocannabinoids. Hence, they interact with the cannabinoid receptors to regulate the exoneration or discharge if neurotransmitters in the brain. However, they both have distinctive effects. Thus, this influences the dispensary purchase of many individuals.
Back then, marijuana was often used due to its mind-altering effects. Additionally, it helped people relax and enjoy their sleep. But, since the popularity of CBD and its benefits came to be known, many people are toning down on their preference for intense and highly intoxicating products. The majority consider their health and well-being a priority. Thus, they opt to enjoy the medical benefits of cannabis oil such as relief from pain, alleviation of cancer-related symptoms, stimulation of brain and heart health, and reduction of acne, stress, depression, and anxiety among other benefits. Despite being psychoactive, THC is also beneficial in various ways such as relieving chronic pain, reducing inflammation, improving digestive health, reducing nausea and vomiting, treating multiple sclerosis, reducing chemotherapy-induced side effects, and lessening tremors which occur as a result of a spinal injury. But, it has both positive and negative side effects which include reduced aggression, relaxation, hunger, fatigue, and altered hearing, smell, and sight senses. This article seeks to discuss the difference between CBD and the THC weed further.
What are high CBD cannabis strains?
The cannabis CBD chemical compound is characteristically the second-most profuse cannabinoid in marijuana. However, that is not often the case. A cannabis strain may produce CBD and THC in different ratios: For instance,
- Low CBD and high THC – trace amounts of CBD, 10 – 30% THC.
- Low THC and high CBD – THC under 5%, 5 – 20% CBD.
- Balanced THC and CBD – 5 – 20% of THC and CBD.
High CBD cannabis strains deliver more coherent functional effects without the mind-altering and euphoric sensations associated with high THC cannabis strains. High CBD cannabis strains are ideally preferred by users who experience extreme sensitivity to the side effects of high THC cannabis strains such as paranoia, anxiety, and dizziness among others. High CBD cannabis strains are also an ideal and effective alternative for someone who needs medication throughout the day to regulate inflammation, pain, anxiety, and other chronic symptoms.
Balanced THC and CBD cannabis strains are a little more mind-altering and euphoric than CBD-prevalent marijuana strains. Nonetheless, they are more or less likely to induce paranoia, anxiety, and other adverse side effects. Balanced THC and CBD marijuana strains are the most appropriate and effective remedy for relieving pain. Additionally, they are apposite or pertinent for consumers who are sensitive to THC and would like to experience a mellow buzz.
CBD cannabis strains can be ingested similarly to THC marijuana strains. You can apply a CBD cream or lotion, vaporize or smoke a CBD-rich flower, swallow a CBD oil capsule, sublingually use a CBD-tincture, or eat a CBD-infused edible. Hemp products also have a CBD chemical compound. However, they are less efficient and effective sources. Additionally, they lack the useful chemical diversity of marijuana-extracted CBD products.
Cannabis buds are covered with a sticky dusting of crystal resin that contains various therapeutic compounds – terpenoids and cannabinoids. Marijuana compounds have an interactive synergy which has been coined to the entourage effect (mechanism proposal whereby majority non-psychoactive cannabis compounds modulate the general intoxicating effects of the plant. This influences the sufficiency and effectiveness of medicines containing THC and CBD on medical conditions.
THC-only medicines are medicines which contain artificial renderings of the THC compound. The two most popular THC-only medicines include Cesamet and Marinol. They are legal therapeutical drugs which are primarily recommended to patients experiencing cancer-related nausea. However, its effectiveness is still under study. According to a survey on the methods of consumption, it was discovered that 2% of 100 patients prefer artificial THC pharmaceuticals over THC-infused or inhaled methods of consumption. Conversely, THC-only medicines such as capsules or pills may take some time before the effect kicks in unlike the inhalation consumption where the effects kick in immediately.
CBD-only medicines have been gaining popularity at a remarkable rate in the past few years. Its miraculous remedial effects have prompted many states and countries to adopt CBD-only laws leaving the THC-only medicines as illegal products. CBD-only medicines have proven to be momentous or life-altering for many people. However, these laws primarily exist to assist those suffering from seizures. Nonetheless, this does not imply that CBD-only medicines and hemp-based products are not effective therapeutic options for various patients more so if the set laws and regulations limit access to substitutes.
What are the medical benefits of CBD?
Marijuana can be used either for recreational purposes of medical purposes thanks to the major chemical compounds it has. Some of the recreational benefits of using cannabis include relaxation, sleep, and tranquility. The medical benefits of marijuana, on the other hand, include epilepsy and seizure disorders, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, acne, inflammation, depression, nausea, rheumatoid arthritis, broken bones, opioid withdrawal, heart disease, pain (chronic, neuropathic, or cancer-related), multiple sclerosis, and stress among others.
CBD has been and is being used by many individuals to benefit their health conditions. This increases the demand for its products hence its vast distribution in the cannabis market. Some of the medical benefits of CBD are as discussed below.
- Relief for chronic pain. Patients suffering or experiencing chronic pain from ailments such as fibromyalgia find relief with CBD. Consuming CBD can help relieve pain. Additionally, it can inhibit the degeneration of the nervous system. Also, CBD has been sanctioned in Canada for cancer pain and multiple sclerosis. Furthermore, interestingly, CBD does not cause dependency or leniency. Thus, it is an ideal and convenient option for an individual who is trying to keep away or refrain from opioids.
- Reduces anxiety, and depression. Depression is a common health condition which affects about 6% of the total U.S population annually according to the ADAA. (Anxiety and Depression Association of America). Anxiety, on the other hand, affects 18% of the population. Recent research shows that CBD has been used to reduce stress and anxiety levels in people living with conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and social anxiety disorder. Additionally, CBD has been discovered to be useful in reducing the stress and uneasiness that surround public speaking. It also reduces depression by improving the glutamate and cortical serotonergic signaling.
- Soothes childhood epilepsy. CBD possesses anti-seizure properties which have been scientifically proven to treat drug-resistant children living with neurological conditions such as epilepsy. Additionally, they do not experience any side effects. According to a published report in the New England Journal of Medicine, CBD has lessened the frequency of seizures by 23% more compared to patients taking a placebo.
- Reduces oxidative stress. Oxidative stress contributes to various diseases. It is the state when the body possesses too many free radicals and cannot keep abreast of counteracting them with anti-oxidants. However, this seems to be an issue as the environment people live in today is toxic than it was back then. Contrariwise, according to a study, CBD oil possesses anti-oxidant and neuroprotective properties. Hence, CBD is useful in reducing neurological impairment caused by free radicals.
- – Improves heart health. Heart problems are a major health condition which challenges many people today. Furthermore, it is the principal or dominant cause of death in the United States. The top priorities for good heart health are a good lifestyle and a healthy diet. Additionally, CBD oil is useful in improving heart health. According to studies, CBD oil helps reduce blockage in the arteries, blood pressure, and stress prompted by the cardiovascular response. Also, it can be used to reduce cholesterol levels.
- Fights cancer. The role of cannabis oil in the treatment still necessitates extensive research. Nonetheless, the studies that have been conducted regarding its potent in fighting cancer seems promising. CBD oil, according to the ACS (American Cancer Society) can slow the growth and spread of some forms of cancer in animals. And since it fights inflammation and oxidative stress, (both of which are associated with cancer), it could help fight cancer cells.
- Promotes healthy weight. CBD helps promote healthy weight by maintaining healthy blood sugar levels, increasing mitochondria which help burn calories, and stimulating proteins and genes which assist in breaking down fat.
- Reduces inflammation. Inflammation is a huge issue which challenges many people in society today. It contributes to numerous non-infectious diseases such as Alzheimer’s, heart disease, auto-immune disease, and cancer among others. The diet and lifestyle human beings embrace play a significant role in chronic inflammation. However, if they are ready and willing to consume a healthy, nutrient-compact diet, optimize their lifestyle, that is getting quality sleep, and exercise regularly, CD oil will help reduce the inflammation.
- Improves skin conditions. CBD oil can be used to improve skin conditions by applying topical solutions directly on the skin. Cannabis oil possesses a high potential for treating skin conditions such as eczema. It does so by stimulating the death of the abnormal cells. Additionally, CBD oil helps regulate the production of oil by the skin thereby reducing acne. It also has many nutrients which improve and protect the skin such as Vitamin E.
- Fights multi-drug resistant bacteria. According to studies, cannabinoids such as CBD have the unusual ability to kill bacteria – more so drug-resistant strains. These studies also discovered that CBD could help slow down the progression of tuberculosis in rats. It does so by preventing T-cell propagation instead of possessing anti-bacterial qualities.
- Help for schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a complex and severe ailment which is typically managed through pharmaceutical drugs and therapy which carry substantial side effects. Recent studies have indicated that CBD oil can be used to reduce hallucinations. Additionally, it has been proven to be a benign, effective, and well-abode remedy for psychosis.
Above are some of the medical benefits of CBD. And to feel the effectiveness of the cannabis oil products, you need to ingest it using the various methods of consumption such as sublingual, ingestion, smoking or inhalation, transdermal, and topical application among others. And while ingesting the CBD oil products, you need to ensure you consume the appropriate amount. Some people may opt to consume it excessively for the effectiveness to kick in fast. However, that is not an ideal choice. Embracing such an act will lead to you experiencing some side effects such as fatigue, dizziness, change in appetite, drowsiness, anxiety, depression, change in mood, and diarrhea among other effects. So, ensure you get the right recommendation or prescription from a professional pharmacist.
What are some high-CBD strains I can try?
There are different species of marijuana or cannabis plant. These include – cannabis sativa, cannabis hybrid, and cannabis indica. CBD levels vary in every type of marijuana plant and strain. And as an individual who is living with some or any of the conditions mentioned above, you would like to know which cannabis strain is best and fit for you. Below are some of the high-CBD strains you can try.
- ACDC. This is a sativa-dominant high-CBD marijuana strain. Its THC vs. CBD predominance are in the ratio 1:20. This implies that it does not induce any psychoactive effects. According to clinical tests, ACDC has high CBD content. Hence, it is medically beneficial to patients in treating pain, negative effects of chemotherapy, multiple sclerosis, anxiety, and epilepsy.
- Remedy. Remedy is a combination of Afghan Skunk and Cannatonic. It is an indica-dominant high-CBD strain which induces little to no intoxicating effects after consumption. It has CBD levels which can get up to 15% while the THC levels are less than 1%. When you smoke or inhale the sweet floral notes of Remedy, you tend to be lifted to a mellow relaxation state which differs massively from the jarring experience THC strains induce.
- Harlequin. This is a sativa-dominant high-CBD strain which is popularly known for its reliable CBD expression. Harlequin provides consumers with a clear head and alert sativa effects. It has a 5:2 CBD:THC ratio. Hence, this makes it an effective remedy for pain and anxiety.
- Sour Tsunami. This is a strain commonly known for its effectiveness in treating inflammation and pain. It does not produce any high feelings. Its CBD levels range between 10 – 11%. The THC levels are often under 10%.
- Canna-Tsu. Canna-Tsu is a hybrid marijuana strain that delivers its deep effects with mental clarity. It has higher CBD levels and lower THC levels. Also, many patients demand it for alleviating pain, reducing inflammation, anxiety, and seizures.
In conclusion, marijuana is largely used for its recreational and medical benefits. Hence, this has led to an increase in demand. Cannabis contains two major chemical compounds called cannabinoids – THC and CBD. The THC vs. CBD effects vary in a patient after the ingestion of marijuana. THC is known to get people high and give them mind-altering effects. CBD, on the other hand, is the non-psychoactive. Thus, many people prefer it to pharmaceutical drugs. Not only do they take a short period before the effectiveness kicks in but also do not have intoxicating effects. Hence, as an individual who is suffering from any of the health conditions mentioned above, CBD oil is an effective treatment for you. The major difference between CBD and THC is that CBD is non-intoxicating while THC is psychoactive. Also, they both have different side effects on the various health conditions. For instance, CBD reduces pain while THC calms the body and mind. Excessive consumption can lead to either diarrhea, fatigue, or change in appetite and mood. Nonetheless, extensive research ought to be conducted to verify some of the medical benefits discussed above.